Deane F. Mosher
Credentials: Extracellular matrix; cell adhesion
Position title: Professor (also Medicine)
Phone: (608) 262-1576
5428A Biochemical Sciences Building
440 Henry Mall, Madison, WI 53706
• M.D. 1968, Harvard Medical School
• Postdoctoral 1970-72, Harvard Medical School (Elkan Blout)
Honors & Awards
• Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science, 2015
• Mentoring in the Basic Sciences, American Society of Hematology, 2006
• M.D. (Honorary), Lund University, Sweden, 1998
• R.F. Schilling WARF Professor, 1997
• H.I. Romnes Fellow,1982-87
• Established Investigator, American Heart Association and its Wisconsin Affiliate, 1978-83
My laboratory has been a leader in characterization of structure and function of molecules of blood plasma, platelets, and extracellular matrix. We are best known for studies of fibronectin, thrombospondins, and vitronectin and participate in collaborative studies that utilize the reagents and expertise that we have developed over the years..
For the past two decades, we have worked closely with colleagues in Allergy and Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine to study activation and trafficking of eosinophils in asthma. Current asthma-related projects include characterizing the proteomes and phosphoproteomes of resting and activated eosinophils (in collaboration with the Josh Coon laboratory); describing the molecular anatomy of and signaling behind the radical changes in eosinophils that occur upon activation with cytokines, chemokines, and other mediators; exploring effects of interactions with periostin, an extracellular matrix protein deposited in the asthmatic lung, on behavior of eosinophils; and identification of biomarkers that differentiate among different types and stages of asthma. In addition, we study adhesion to extracellular matrix proteins of bacteria that are respiratory pathogens or commensal to the bronchial tree.
Perform a customized PubMed literature search for Deane F. Mosher
- Houseright, R.A., V. Miskolci, O. Mulvaney, V. Bortnov, D.F. Mosher, J. Rindy, D.A. Bennin, and A. Huttenlocher. (2021). Myeloid-derived growth factor regulates neutrophil motility in interstitial tissue damage. The Journal of cell biology, 220: .
- Mosher, D.F., B.S. Schwartz, and C.M. Jackson. (2021). Obituary for John W. Suttie. Journal of thrombosis and haemostasis : JTH, 19: 1840-1841.
- Bartig, K.A., K.E. Lee, D.F. Mosher, S.K. Mathur, and M.W. Johansson. (2021). Platelet association with leukocytes in active eosinophilic esophagitis. PloS one, 16: e0250521.
- Overmyer, K.A., E. Shishkova, I.J. Miller, J. Balnis, M.N. Bernstein, T.M. Peters-Clarke, J.G. Meyer, Q. Quan, L.K. Muehlbauer, E.A. Trujillo, Y. He, A. Chopra, H.C. Chieng, A. Tiwari, M.A. Judson, B. Paulson, D.R. Brademan, Y. Zhu, L.R. Serrano, V. Linke, L.A. Drake, A.P. Adam, B.S. Schwartz, H.A. Singer, S. Swanson, D.F. Mosher, R. Stewart, J.J. Coon, and A. Jaitovich. (2021). Large-Scale Multi-omic Analysis of COVID-19 Severity. Cell systems, 12: 23-40.e7.
- Barretto, K.T., D.F. Mosher, N.N. Jarjour, C.S. Curran, S. Esnault, and M.W. Johansson. (2021). Observation and Quantification of Eosinophil Motility. Methods in molecular biology (Clifton, N.J.), 2241: 139-148.
- Overmyer, K.A., E. Shishkova, I.J. Miller, J. Balnis, M.N. Bernstein, T.M. Peters-Clarke, J.G. Meyer, Q. Quan, L.K. Muehlbauer, E.A. Trujillo, Y. He, A. Chopra, H.C. Chieng, A. Tiwari, M.A. Judson, B. Paulson, D.R. Brademan, Y. Zhu, L.R. Serrano, V. Linke, L.A. Drake, A.P. Adam, B.S. Schwartz, H.A. Singer, S. Swanson, D.F. Mosher, R. Stewart, J.J. Coon, and A. Jaitovich. (2020). Large-scale Multi-omic Analysis of COVID-19 Severity. medRxiv : the preprint server for health sciences, .
- Johansson, M.W., E.M. McKernan, P.S. Fichtinger, E.L. Angulo, J.L. Bagley, K.E. Lee, M.D. Evans, L.D. Lomeli, D.F. Mosher, S.M. Cook, E.A. Gaumnitz, and S.K. Mathur. (2020). α-Integrin (CD41) associated with blood eosinophils is a potential biomarker for disease activity in eosinophilic esophagitis. The Journal of allergy and clinical immunology, 145: 1699-1701.
- Esnault, S., J.P. Leet, M.W. Johansson, K.T. Barretto, P.S. Fichtinger, F.J. Fogerty, K. Bernau, S.K. Mathur, D.F. Mosher, N. Sandbo, and N.N. Jarjour. (2020). Eosinophil cytolysis on Immunoglobulin G is associated with microtubule formation and suppression of rho-associated protein kinase signalling. Clinical and experimental allergy : journal of the British Society for Allergy and Clinical Immunology, 50: 198-212.
- Johansson, M.W., B.M. Grill, K.T. Barretto, M.C. Favour, H.M. Schira, C.M. Swanson, K.E. Lee, R.L. Sorkness, D.F. Mosher, L.C. Denlinger, and N.N. Jarjour. (2020). Plasma P-Selectin Is Inversely Associated with Lung Function and Corticosteroid Responsiveness in Asthma. International archives of allergy and immunology, 181: 879-887.
- Bortnov, V., M. Tonelli, W. Lee, Z. Lin, D.S. Annis, O.N. Demerdash, A. Bateman, J.C. Mitchell, Y. Ge, J.L. Markley, and D.F. Mosher. (2019). Solution structure of human myeloid-derived growth factor suggests a conserved function in the endoplasmic reticulum. Nature communications, 10: 5612.