Credentials: Mathematical and computational methods in biology
Position title: Professor (also Professor of Mathematics)
Phone: (608) 265-3391
• B.S. 1994, University of Bucharest, Romania
• Ph.D. 2002, Ohio State University (Martin Feinberg)
• Postdoctoral 2002-05, Ohio State University (Avner Friedman)
Honors & Awards
2012 Visiting Professor Fellowship, ETH Zurich, Switzerland
2013 Feinberg Foundation Visiting Faculty Fellowship, Weizmann Institute, Israel
2014-2016 Vilas Research Award, University of Wisconsin-Madison
2017-present Discovery Fellow, Wisconsin Institute for Discovery, University of Wisconsin-Madison
2019-2023 Van Vleck Professorship Prize, University of Wisconsin-Madison
2019-2020 Simons Fellow in Mathematics, Simons Foundation
2019-2020 Visiting Professor, Max Planck Institute for Mathematics in the Sciences, Leipzig, Germany
Normal cell function is based in large part on the operation of modules consisting of complex networks of biochemical reactions. I am interested in mathematical and computational methods for understanding dynamical properties of biochemical networks, such as gene regulatory networks, signaling pathways, and metabolic networks. For example, I am working on designing algorithms that allow us to relate the topological structure of a biochemical network and its dynamical properties, such as its capacity to exhibit bistability and oscillations, or its sensitivity to noise and other stochastic properties.
In particular, I am considering mathematical and computational models of: cell division and apoptosis, intracellular transport using motor proteins, electrical signals that allow for intercellular communication, and the action of regulatory molecules that are present at very low levels per cell. I am also working on designing algorithms for de novo sequencing of peptides using mass spectrometry data.
Perform a customized PubMed literature search for Gheorghe Craciun
- Haws, S.A., L.J. Miller, D.R. La Luz, V.I. Kuznetsov, R.C. Trievel, G. Craciun, and J.M. Denu. (2023). Intrinsic catalytic properties of histone H3 lysine-9 methyltransferases preserve monomethylation levels under low S-adenosylmethionine. The Journal of biological chemistry, 299: 104938.
- Craciun, G., I.C. Calina, M. Demeter, A. Scarisoreanu, M. Dumitru, and E. Manaila. (2023). Poly(Acrylic Acid)-Sodium Alginate Superabsorbent Hydrogels Synthesized by Electron Beam Irradiation Part I: Impact of Initiator Concentration and Irradiation Dose on Structure, Network Parameters and Swelling Properties. Materials (Basel, Switzerland), 16: .
- Manaila, E., M. Demeter, I.C. Calina, and G. Craciun. (2023). NaAlg-g-AA Hydrogels: Candidates in Sustainable Agriculture Applications. Gels (Basel, Switzerland), 9: .
- Manaila, E., G. Craciun, I.B. Lungu, M.D. Dumitru Grivei, and M.D. Stelescu. (2023). Degradation by Electron Beam Irradiation of Some Elastomeric Composites Sulphur Vulcanized. Materials (Basel, Switzerland), 16: .
- Plugaru, R., I. Mihalache, C. Romaniţan, F. Comanescu, S. Vulpe, G. Craciun, N. Plugaru, and N. Djourelov. (2023). Light-Sensing Properties of Amorphous Vanadium Oxide Films Prepared by RF Sputtering. Sensors (Basel, Switzerland), 23: .
- Manaila, E., G. Craciun, and I.C. Calina. (2022). Sodium Alginate-g-acrylamide/acrylic Acid Hydrogels Obtained by Electron Beam Irradiation for Soil Conditioning. International journal of molecular sciences, 24: .
- Craciun, G., and A. Deshpande. (2022). Homeostasis and injectivity: a reaction network perspective. Journal of mathematical biology, 85: 67.
- Joshi, B., and G. Craciun. (2022). Foundations of static and dynamic absolute concentration robustness. Journal of mathematical biology, 85: 53.
- Preda, P., A.M. Enciu, B. Adiaconita, I. Mihalache, G. Craciun, A. Boldeiu, L. Aricov, C. Romanitan, D. Stan, C. Marculescu, C. Tanase, and M. Avram. (2022). New Amorphous Hydrogels with Proliferative Properties as Potential Tools in Wound Healing. Gels (Basel, Switzerland), 8: .
- Manaila, E., G. Craciun, D. Ighigeanu, I.B. Lungu, M.D. Dumitru Grivei, and M.D. Stelescu. (2022). Degradation by Electron Beam Irradiation of Some Composites Based on Natural Rubber Reinforced with Mineral and Organic Fillers. International journal of molecular sciences, 23: .