Credentials: Mathematical and computational methods in biology
Position title: Professor (also Professor of Mathematics)
Phone: (608) 265-3391
• B.S. 1994, University of Bucharest, Romania
• Ph.D. 2002, Ohio State University (Martin Feinberg)
• Postdoctoral 2002-05, Ohio State University (Avner Friedman)
Honors & Awards
• Sigma Xi Certificate of Distinction for Outstanding Research Scholarship, 2001
• NSF Mathematical Biosciences Institute Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2002
• 1st prize, Biocomplexity VII Conference, 2005
• Vilas Associates Award, 2013
Normal cell function is based in large part on the operation of modules consisting of complex networks of biochemical reactions. I am interested in mathematical and computational methods for understanding dynamical properties of biochemical networks, such as gene regulatory networks, signaling pathways, and metabolic networks. For example, I am working on designing algorithms that allow us to relate the topological structure of a biochemical network and its dynamical properties, such as its capacity to exhibit bistability and oscillations, or its sensitivity to noise and other stochastic properties.
In particular, I am considering mathematical and computational models of: cell division and apoptosis, intracellular transport using motor proteins, electrical signals that allow for intercellular communication, and the action of regulatory molecules that are present at very low levels per cell. I am also working on designing algorithms for de novo sequencing of peptides using mass spectrometry data.
Perform a customized PubMed literature search for Gheorghe Craciun
- Craciun, G., and A. Deshpande. (2022). Homeostasis and injectivity: a reaction network perspective. Journal of mathematical biology, 85: 67.
- Joshi, B., and G. Craciun. (2022). Foundations of static and dynamic absolute concentration robustness. Journal of mathematical biology, 85: 53.
- Preda, P., A.M. Enciu, B. Adiaconita, I. Mihalache, G. Craciun, A. Boldeiu, L. Aricov, C. Romanitan, D. Stan, C. Marculescu, C. Tanase, and M. Avram. (2022). New Amorphous Hydrogels with Proliferative Properties as Potential Tools in Wound Healing. Gels (Basel, Switzerland), 8: .
- Manaila, E., G. Craciun, D. Ighigeanu, I.B. Lungu, M.D. Dumitru Grivei, and M.D. Stelescu. (2022). Degradation by Electron Beam Irradiation of Some Composites Based on Natural Rubber Reinforced with Mineral and Organic Fillers. International journal of molecular sciences, 23: .
- Craciun, G., B. Joshi, C. Pantea, and I. Tan. (2022). Multistationarity in Cyclic Sequestration-Transmutation Networks. Bulletin of mathematical biology, 84: 65.
- Craciun, G., A. Deshpande, B. Joshi, and P.Y. Yu. (2022). Autocatalytic recombination systems: A reaction network perspective. Mathematical biosciences, 345: 108784.
- Anăstăsoaie, V., R. Tomescu, C. Kusko, I. Mihalache, A. Dinescu, C. Parvulescu, G. Craciun, S. Caramizoiu, and D. Cristea. (2022). Influence of Random Plasmonic Metasurfaces on Fluorescence Enhancement. Materials (Basel, Switzerland), 15: .
- Ginghina, R.E., G. Toader, M. Purica, A.E. Bratu, C. Lazaroaie, T.V. Tiganescu, R.E. Oncioiu, G.O. Iorga, F.L. Zorila, M. Constantin, G. Craciun, F. Comanescu, and C. Romanitan. (2022). Antimicrobial Activity and Degradation Ability Study on Nanoparticle-Enriched Formulations Specially Designed for the Neutralization of Real and Simulated Biological and Chemical Warfare Agents. Pharmaceuticals (Basel, Switzerland), 15: .
- Craciun, G., J. Jin, and P.Y. Yu. (2021). Uniqueness of weakly reversible and deficiency zero realizations of dynamical systems. Mathematical biosciences, 342: 108720.
- Constantin, E., P. Varasteanu, I. Mihalache, G. Craciun, R.A. Mitran, M. Popescu, A. Boldeiu, and M. Simion. (2021). SPR detection of protein enhanced by seedless synthesized gold nanorods. Biophysical chemistry, 279: 106691.