Credentials: Mathematical and computational methods in biology
Position title: Professor (also Professor of Mathematics)
Phone: (608) 265-3391
• B.S. 1994, University of Bucharest, Romania
• Ph.D. 2002, Ohio State University (Martin Feinberg)
• Postdoctoral 2002-05, Ohio State University (Avner Friedman)
Honors & Awards
• Sigma Xi Certificate of Distinction for Outstanding Research Scholarship, 2001
• NSF Mathematical Biosciences Institute Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2002
• 1st prize, Biocomplexity VII Conference, 2005
• Vilas Associates Award, 2013
Normal cell function is based in large part on the operation of modules consisting of complex networks of biochemical reactions. I am interested in mathematical and computational methods for understanding dynamical properties of biochemical networks, such as gene regulatory networks, signaling pathways, and metabolic networks. For example, I am working on designing algorithms that allow us to relate the topological structure of a biochemical network and its dynamical properties, such as its capacity to exhibit bistability and oscillations, or its sensitivity to noise and other stochastic properties.
In particular, I am considering mathematical and computational models of: cell division and apoptosis, intracellular transport using motor proteins, electrical signals that allow for intercellular communication, and the action of regulatory molecules that are present at very low levels per cell. I am also working on designing algorithms for de novo sequencing of peptides using mass spectrometry data.
Perform a customized PubMed literature search for Gheorghe Craciun
- Craciun, G., B. Joshi, C. Pantea, and I. Tan. (2022). Multistationarity in Cyclic Sequestration-Transmutation Networks. Bulletin of mathematical biology, 84: 65.
- Craciun, G., A. Deshpande, B. Joshi, and P.Y. Yu. (2022). Autocatalytic recombination systems: A reaction network perspective. Mathematical biosciences, 345: 108784.
- Anăstăsoaie, V., R. Tomescu, C. Kusko, I. Mihalache, A. Dinescu, C. Parvulescu, G. Craciun, S. Caramizoiu, and D. Cristea. (2022). Influence of Random Plasmonic Metasurfaces on Fluorescence Enhancement. Materials (Basel, Switzerland), 15: .
- Ginghina, R.E., G. Toader, M. Purica, A.E. Bratu, C. Lazaroaie, T.V. Tiganescu, R.E. Oncioiu, G.O. Iorga, F.L. Zorila, M. Constantin, G. Craciun, F. Comanescu, and C. Romanitan. (2022). Antimicrobial Activity and Degradation Ability Study on Nanoparticle-Enriched Formulations Specially Designed for the Neutralization of Real and Simulated Biological and Chemical Warfare Agents. Pharmaceuticals (Basel, Switzerland), 15: .
- Constantin, E., P. Varasteanu, I. Mihalache, G. Craciun, R.A. Mitran, M. Popescu, A. Boldeiu, and M. Simion. (2021). SPR detection of protein enhanced by seedless synthesized gold nanorods. Biophysical chemistry, 279: 106691.
- Craciun, G., J. Jin, and P.Y. Yu. (2021). Uniqueness of weakly reversible and deficiency zero realizations of dynamical systems. Mathematical biosciences, 342: 108720.
- Manaila, E., G. Craciun, D. Ighigeanu, and M.D. Stelescu. (2021). Water Absorption Kinetics in Composites Degraded by the Radiation Technique. Materials (Basel, Switzerland), 14: .
- Moore, K., and G. Craciun. (2021). Fear of Missing Out and Personality as Predictors of Social Networking Sites Usage: The Instagram Case. Psychological reports, 124: 1761-1787.
- Manaila, E., G. Craciun, D. Ighigeanu, I.B. Lungu, M. Dumitru, and M.D. Stelescu. (2021). Electron Beam Irradiation: A Method for Degradation of Composites Based on Natural Rubber and Plasticized Starch. Polymers, 13: .
- Serban, B.C., C. Cobianu, O. Buiu, M. Bumbac, N. Dumbravescu, V. Avramescu, C.M. Nicolescu, M. Brezeanu, C. Pachiu, G. Craciun, and C. Radulescu. (2021). Ternary Nanocomposites Based on Oxidized Carbon Nanohorns as Sensing Layers for Room Temperature Resistive Humidity Sensing. Materials (Basel, Switzerland), 14: .