Credentials: Mathematical and computational methods in biology
Position title: Professor (also Professor of Mathematics)
Phone: (608) 265-3391
• B.S. 1994, University of Bucharest, Romania
• Ph.D. 2002, Ohio State University (Martin Feinberg)
• Postdoctoral 2002-05, Ohio State University (Avner Friedman)
Honors & Awards
• Sigma Xi Certificate of Distinction for Outstanding Research Scholarship, 2001
• NSF Mathematical Biosciences Institute Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2002
• 1st prize, Biocomplexity VII Conference, 2005
• Vilas Associates Award, 2013
Normal cell function is based in large part on the operation of modules consisting of complex networks of biochemical reactions. I am interested in mathematical and computational methods for understanding dynamical properties of biochemical networks, such as gene regulatory networks, signaling pathways, and metabolic networks. For example, I am working on designing algorithms that allow us to relate the topological structure of a biochemical network and its dynamical properties, such as its capacity to exhibit bistability and oscillations, or its sensitivity to noise and other stochastic properties.
In particular, I am considering mathematical and computational models of: cell division and apoptosis, intracellular transport using motor proteins, electrical signals that allow for intercellular communication, and the action of regulatory molecules that are present at very low levels per cell. I am also working on designing algorithms for de novo sequencing of peptides using mass spectrometry data.
Perform a customized PubMed literature search for Gheorghe Craciun
- Varasteanu, P., C. Romanitan, A. Bujor, O. Tutunaru, G. Craciun, I. Mihalache, A. Radoi, and M. Kusko. (2020). From Chip Size to Wafer-Scale Nanoporous Gold Reliable Fabrication Using Low Currents Electrochemical Etching. Nanomaterials (Basel, Switzerland), 10: .
- Manaila, E., G. Craciun, and D. Ighigeanu. (2020). Water Absorption Kinetics in Natural Rubber Composites Reinforced with Natural Fibers Processed by Electron Beam Irradiation. Polymers, 12: .
- Manaila, E., A. Airinei, M.D. Stelescu, M. Sonmez, L. Alexandrescu, G. Craciun, D. Pamfil, N. Fifere, C.D. Varganici, F. Doroftei, and A. Bele. (2020). Radiation Processing and Characterization of Some Ethylene-propylene-diene Terpolymer/Butyl (Halobutyl) Rubber/Nanosilica Composites. Polymers, 12: .
- Craciun, G., M. Mincheva, C. Pantea, and P.Y. Yu. (2020). Delay stability of reaction systems. Mathematical biosciences, 326: 108387.
- Moore, K., and G. Craciun. (2020). Fear of Missing Out and Personality as Predictors of Social Networking Sites Usage: The Instagram Case. Psychological reports, 33294120936184.
- Craciun, G., E. Manaila, D. Ighigeanu, and M.D. Stelescu. (2020). A Method to Improve the Characteristics of EPDM Rubber Based Eco-Composites with Electron Beam. Polymers, 12: .
- Craciun, G., M.D. Johnston, G. Szederkényi, E. Tonello, J. Tóth, and P.Y. Yu. (2019). Realizations of kinetic differential equations. Mathematical biosciences and engineering : MBE, 17: 862-892.
- Craciun, G., S. Muller, C. Pantea, and P.Y. Yu. (2019). A generalization of Birchs theorem and vertex-balanced steady states for generalized mass-action systems. Mathematical biosciences and engineering : MBE, 16: 8243-8267.
- Craciun, G., E. Manaila, and D. Ighigeanu. (2019). New Type of Sodium Alginate-g-acrylamide Polyelectrolyte Obtained by Electron Beam Irradiation: Characterization and Study of Flocculation Efficacy and Heavy Metal Removal Capacity. Polymers, 11: .
- Stelescu, M.D., A. Airinei, E. Manaila, G. Craciun, N. Fifere, C. Varganici, D. Pamfil, and F. Doroftei. (2018). Effects of Electron Beam Irradiation on the Mechanical, Thermal, and Surface Properties of Some EPDM/Butyl Rubber Composites. Polymers, 10: .