University of Wisconsin–Madison

General Department Information

(click on panels to expand information)

  • Who to Contact When You Need Help
    Administrative Staff Responsibilities (pdf)
    Department Organizational Chart (pdf)
    Name: How to Reach:
    Mr. Taylor Cluff Work hours: 8:00-4:30 M-F
    Rm 1135F Biochemistry
    Phone: 890-4631
    Student Services Coordinator Work hours: 8:00-4:30 M-F
    Rm 1135H Biochemistry
    Phone: 261-1492
     Joe Oliva Work hours: 6:30am-3:00 pm M-F
    Rm. 1135E Biochemistry
    Phone: Cell(best): 220-8947, Office: 262-1184
    Dennis Choi Work hours: 8:00-4:30 M-F
    Rm. 1135D Biochemistry
    Phone: 262-4320
    Derek Miskoski Work hours: 8:00-4:30 M-F
    Rm. 1135 Biochemistry
    Phone: 265-4837
    Brittany Huser Work hours: 8:00-4:30 Th
    Rm. 1135G Biochemistry
    Phone: 265-2978
    Garrett Hamilton Work hours: 8:00-4:30 W
    Rm. 1135G Biochemistry
    Phone: 262-7888
  • Administrative Staff Responsibilities

    Choose “Show All entries” to see full list on one page.

    Admin Responsibilities List

    wdt_ID Functional Area Function or Resposibility Primary Secondary Secondary 2
    1 Events and Scheduling
    2 Room Scheduling Choi, Dennis Meuer, Elyse
    3 Seminars and Colloquia Choi, Dennis Cluff, Taylor
    4 Chair Calendar and Meetings Choi, Dennis Cluff, Taylor
    5 Facilities Management
    7 Capital Equipment Inventory and Disposal Oliva, Joe Cluff, Taylor
    8 Equipment Maintenance/Repair Oliva, Joe
    9 Facilities Maintenance/Repair Oliva, Joe
    10 Keycard Access Oliva, Joe Choi, Dennis
  • Building Information

    2. Building Information:

    Building entry (Building hours: 6:00 am – 6:15 pm Monday-Friday)
    Doors into the Biochemistry and Biochemical Sciences buildings and the elevators have proximity ID readers for after hours or weekend access. To obtain access, please see an office staff member. You will need to bring your Campus ID.

    Ask office staff for training on how to clear paper jams, load transparencies or labels, or any other feature of the copier that may be unfamiliar to you. If the machine gives you a message stating that the dry ink or toner should be replaced, notify office staff. You should not attempt to do this yourself. If you get other error messages, or if the machine refuses to work properly, notify the office staff.

    Personal copying is discouraged, except in an emergency. If you make personal copies, the cost is $0.25 per copy. Money should be given to Dennis Choi.

    Fax machine
    Office staff will provide training on how to use the fax machine. If the fax machine gives you an error message, notify the office staff. Personal faxing is only permitted in emergency situations. If you have an emergency fax, ask the office staff how to handle. You will be required to reimburse the department for the cost.


    Campus mail
    Outgoing campus mail should be placed in a campus mail envelope, appropriately addressed and left in the outgoing campus mailbox in Room 1135 Biochemistry. UW Shipping and Mailing employees deliver and pick-up US and campus mail from the office twice daily, once around 8:00 a.m. and again around 1:00 p.m.

    Incoming campus mail is delivered to departmental mailboxes once a day by 1:00 PM. Mailboxes are provided for faculty and faculty labs. Mailboxes are located in Room 1135A Biochemistry.

    US mail
    Outgoing lab-related mail should be placed in the mailbox located in Room 1135 Biochemistry with lab identification noted in the return address location. Stamped personal outgoing US mail can be placed in the mailbox located in Room 1135 Biochemistry. UW Shipping and Mailing employees deliver and pick-up US and campus mail from the office twice daily, once around 8:00 a.m. and again around 1:00 p.m.

    Incoming US mail is delivered to departmental mailboxes once a day by 1:00 PM. Note: Please do not use your campus address for personal mail, as it is a violation of campus policy.

    Express mail
    Ask office staff for instructions on how to use express mail services (Fed Ex, UPS, etc.). Forms for international deliveries are available in the mailroom (1135A Biochemistry) or from office staff.

    Please ask office staff for the departmental FedEx and UPS account numbers.

    Packages coming into department
    Packages coming into the department are delivered daily to each lab on floors 4, 5, and 6 of the Biochemical Sciences Building OR they are delivered to the fourth floor and e-mail notification of package delivery will go out immediately after.

    Projectors – overhead and LCD
    Overhead projectors are set up in the Biochemical Sciences Building conference rooms (4221 BSB, 5221 BSB, and 6221 BSB); please do not remove them. Reservations for these projectors are not necessary. If you need a projector for a meeting in a location different than the aforementioned rooms, please see the office staff in Room 1135 Biochemistry.

    The department has available an LCD projector and a laptop computer. First priority for use is department lab courses (course faculty and staff). The next priority is scientific presentations, e.g. seminars, annual committee meetings, etc. Lowest priority is routine lab meetings, practicing for presentations, etc. The iCal electronic calendar on the main office computer located in Room 1135 Biochemistry can be used to reserve this equipment. Please e-mail Dennis Choi ( ) with the date and time you would like to reserve the department projector for.

    Room reservations
    Rooms are reserved through the iCal electronic calendar in the main office in Room 1135 Biochemistry. To reserve 4221 BSB, 5221 BSB, and 6221 BSB, please contact Dennis Choi ( with the date and time you would like to reserve the room for. Also, to reserve rooms that are considered shared space in BSB and Biochemistry, please contact Elyse Meuer (

    Maintenance Issues:

    Room temperature, lights, electrical outlets, RO or tap water problems, autoclave and glassware washer problems, leaks, and most everything else that may go wrong in this building, contact Joe Oliva email:  for resolution. For laboratory equipment in need of repair, contact Joe Oliva, who will repair it, or make arrangements to have it repaired

  • Purchasing

    3. Purchasing:

    Ordering lab supplies and equipment
    Go to the department’s web site ( under DEPARTMENT INFO, PURCHASING (UW) for instructions on how to order lab supplies. At this web site, you will also find information on vendor addresses, phone numbers and customer numbers. Dennis Choi can provide instructions on how to return items to vendors.

    Purchasing card
    The Department purchasing card can be used to cover some travel expenditures (registration and airfare) as well as lab supplies purchases. Please contact Dennis Choi ( for purchase eligibility and to identify “designated users” to coordinate purchases.

    If you use the Department purchasing card for travel or lab supplies purchasing, please print off a copy of the order confirmation or invoice and give a copy to Taylor Cluff (1135 Biochemistry) with funding designated.

    Airfare/Travel to meetings, conferences, etc.
    The Department Procurement Card may be used for the purchase of conference registration and airfare to meetings and conferences. The University will only prepay airfare on the p-card if Concur is used to book the travel. Please contact Taylor Cluff (262-7280; to identify authorized users in your work unit to assist with making travel arrangements. Be certain to copy Taylor on all purchase receipts.

    Travel reimbursement
    If you are traveling to a meeting or conference, see Elyse Meuer (Rm. 1135 Biochemistry) before making travel arrangements. She will provide you with travel information and receipt requirements for reimbursement. Reimbursement direct deposits take approximately 7-10 business days to be issued.

    Below are instructions how to assign an alternate in e-Reimbursement.

    1. Log into MyUW;

    2. Click on the Services tab at the top of your screen;

    3. About halfway down the next screen there will be a box titled Employee Financial Resources. In that box click e-Reimbursement Log In;

    4. The next screen should have a menu of different options. The first option in the second row should be Assign an Alternate. Click here;

    5. Your name will appear on the next screen. At the end of the row containing your name there will be a little plus sign. Click here;

    6. This will create a new row with an empty text box. In the text box, type alternate’s last name. Once you have done that, click the small magnifying glass just outside the text box;

    7. Alternate’s name should appear on the next screen along with his/her employee ID in blue. Click the employee ID;

    8. This will redirect you back to the page with your name. The alternate’s name should now appear below yours. Click Save, then Okay, and log out in the upper right hand corner.

    Campus Purchasing links:

    Ordering from MDS, Corporate, Fisher (Shop@UW)
    Purchasing Services

  • Human Resources

    4. Human Resources:

    Faculty Absence Reporting Form-Email

    Kronos reporting for student hourly employees
    New student hourly employees should meet with Dennis Choi (Rm. 1135D Biochemistry) to complete payroll and appointment paperwork. She will also provide instructions on Kronos to login and enter hours. All Kronos hours need to be approved with Student and Supervisor Approvals by noon on Monday following the end of a biweekly pay period. If there is an early deadline due to a holiday, Dennis will inform all student hourly employees. Before you approve your hours, check and save your hours on a daily basis. After student has approved hours, the supervisor will then approve Kronos hours.

    Leave reports
    Faculty and academic staff will receive a monthly leave report to track sick leave and vacation usage. These forms are distributed at the beginning of the month and should be returned to Dennis Choi with a supervisor signature by the 10th of the month. If you lose your monthly leave report, go to MyUW and under the Work Record tab print a new leave report from the Leave Report Statement section.

    Campus HR links:
    Employee Compensation & Benefits Home Page
    Office of Human Resources Home Page
    Employment Opportunities at UW-Madison
    Faculty Policies & Procedures
    International Faculty & Staff Services
    UW Employment Policies, Procedures, Guidelines & Handbooks

  • Useful Infomation for Researchers