A Brief History of the Dept. of Biomolecular Chemistry
|1921||Harold C. Bradley founded the Department of Physiological Chemistry and became its first Chair.|
|1924||First Ph.D. in the Department of Physiological Chemistry is awarded to Alrick Brynhjolf Hertzman.|
|1932||Marian Esther Stark is the first woman to receive a Ph.D. in the Department of Physiological Chemistry.|
|1942||The author of the definitive series Principles in Biochemistry, Albert L. Lehninger, receives his Ph.D. in Physiological Chemistry from UW-Madison.|
|1947||Philip P. Cohen succeeds Dr. Bradley as Chair.|
|1975||Harry J. Karavolas becomes Chair of the Department.|
|1979||Elizabeth A. Craig becomes the first female faculty member hired in Physiological Chemistry.|
|1991||The department name is changed from Physiological to Biomolecular Chemistry.
|1996||Elizabeth Craig assumes the position of Chair of the department.|
|2002||Robert H. Fillingame becomes Chair.
|2012||Biomolecular Chemistry moves into a new $112 million state of the art research complex (Biochemical Sciences) on Henry Mall.
|2013||Patricia J. Kiley becomes Chair.|